With the temperature expected to drop and the possibility of snow, here’s a reminder for how to get out and about during a cold snap
As a rural village only major routes through Tollerton are gritted during the winter. Nottinghamshire County Council will grit Melton Road, Tollerton Lane (part – Melton Road to Cotgrave Lane), Cotgrave Lane and Cotgrave Road. During the most severe weather the remainder of Tollerton Lane may also be gritted.
In other parts of the village Tollerton Parish Council and the County Council provide grit bins for “self help” use by residents.
Please remember that:
- Grit from the grit bins should only be used on pavements and roads and not private accesses or drives
- Grit should be spread thinly – only 1 tablespoon of grit is needed for each square metre.
When clearing snow and ice:
- do it early in the day – it’s easier to move fresh, loose snow
- don’t use water – it might refreeze and turn to black ice
- don’t clear snow from the pavement onto the road
- use salt if possible – it will melt the ice or snow and stop it from refreezing overnight
- you can use ash and sand if you don’t have enough salt – it will provide grip underfoot
- pay extra attention when clearing steps and steep pathways – using more salt may help
Please contact the parish council for any issues with snow clearance or grit bins.
More information on gritting routes can be found on the county council website