Tollerton Parish Council is seeking clarification from VIA East Midlands after residents raised questions over the changing speed limits on Tollerton Lane.
Work undertaken on Tollerton Lane initially appeared to implement a change of speed limit that the parish council was consulted on last year. Councillors had objected to the proposed changes which would introduce a 40mph limit from the edge of the village to just past the new hospital. A further limit of 50mph was expected on the remainder of the road to the Lings Bar.
However residents and councillors are now questioning what the speed limit is as the signs that appeared at the beginning of May have been changed twice in the first two weeks of the month and some speed limits have been hidden by other new signs.
Initially the new signs included:
- new 40mph signs attached to the existing speed limit signs at the edge of the village – with the existing national speed limit covered up with old cement sacks
- tall repeater 40mph signs placed along the Lane to the hospital
- a change in speed limit sign (40mph) placed in front of a new hospital sign obscuring the hospital sign stating no A & E
- the same hospital sign hiding the change of speed limit sign in the other direction (40mph->50mph)
- a section of road with two different speed limits – 50mph signs north bound from the hospital but national speed limit signs south bound from the Lings Bar.
But following initial inquiries this then changed to:
- the 50mph signs were then removed and replaced with national speed limit signs.
- At the same time the 40mph signs at the edge of the village were covered up with the old cement sacks
- But the 40mph signs at the hospital for the same section of road remained – leaving this section of the Lane with two different speed limits – 60mph signs north bound to the hospital but 40mph south bound
Subsequent changes have included:
- 40 mph signs near the hospital being temporarily covered
- the hospital sign being covered but a further new hospital sign being installed uncovered
- the 40 mph signs near the hospital then being uncovered again leaving this section of the Lane with two different speed limits – 60mph signs north bound to the hospital but 40mph south bound
Tollerton Parish Council is concerned about the potential confusion for road users on Tollerton Lane and whether these changes provide value for money. The Parish Council has asked residents to take extra care whilst clarification is sought.